The Mansion House Piranha Swim Team is currently accepting applications for the position of Head Swim Coach for the 2020 summer swim season. We are looking for an experienced coach with a great attitude, strong stroke development and technical skills, team spirit and enthusiasm. Mansion House competed in Division 11 during the 2019 Northern Virginia Swimming League (NVSL) season with a team of approximately 125 swimmers, ranging in ages from 5-18. Another approximately 20 swimmers participated in our developmental swim program, the Little Piranhas. Our swim program is focused on developing technical skills and a life-long love of the sport of swimming.
The Head Coach will be responsible for the following
- Prepare and conduct time trials.
- Prepare for, participate in, and attend all Northern Virginia Swimming League (NVSL) Dual “A” Meets held on Saturday mornings, and all “B” Meets held on Monday evenings, and two – three meets held on Wednesday evenings during the swim season.
- Prepare meet sheets for all NVSL Dual Meets, Relay Carnival and Divisionals with Hy-Tek software (in coordination with the Swim Team Representatives) and provide assessments of swimmer’s meet performance, including discussion of swim technique, split times, and DQ corrections. Meet sheets and swimmer participation shall be determined according to published NVSL rules.
- Prepare for, support, and attend the NVSL Divisional Relay Carnival, the NVSL All Star Relay Carnival, the NVSL Divisional Championship Meet, and the NVSL Individual All Star Meet.
- Conduct Stroke and Turn Clinics
- Attend and participate in Swim Team social functions including the Team Photo, Pep rallies, attend the end-of-season party and provide assistance with the distribution of swim awards.
- The Head Coach is responsible for supervising all assistant coaches and ensuring the safety and progression of all swimmers. The Head Coach will ensure that all assistant coaches are properly prepared for all practices and meets.
- Coaching during the meets. The Head Coach is responsible for running appropriate warm-ups; assisting Team Rep with appropriate scratches and substitutions in event of injury or no-shows for A meets; ensuring that entered swimmers go to Clerk of Course in a timely manner; and observing individual swims in order to provide swimmers with constructive feedback.
- Head Coach should arrive at least one-half hour before start of practices to ensure pool is set up
- Ability to promote and motivate team pride during meets & introduce healthy habits
Previous head swim coaching experience or extensive assistant coaching skills. Knowledge in competitive swimming and training techniques and best practices. Knowledge of NVSL rules and procedures. Experience working with children and competitive level swimmers. Passion for teaching proper stroke technique and sportsmanship. Strong communication and interpersonal skills with children, parents, and coaching staff. Experience managing swim meets and a coaching staff. Must be certified in CPR/First Aid and Lifeguard/Water Safety and Fairfax County pool operator certificate (team will assist with obtaining if necessary). Knowledge of/experience with Hy-Tek software and Swimtopia preferred.
Deadline to Apply:
Candidates should apply no later than January 20, 2020. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified and interviews will occur in late early/mid-February 2020. Interested candidates should send their resume of qualifications and references to firstname.lastname@example.org.