The Village West Vikings are accepting applications for the position of Head Coach for our summer 2023 season.
The Vikings are a summer swim team based in West Springfield near the intersection of Rolling Road and Old Keene Mill. Across all programs, we have about 150 swimmers, including year-round swimmers, longtime summer swimmers, and younger swimmers just getting their feet wet in our beginner programs. In 2022, about 80 of our swimmers competed in NVSL Division 16.
While the Vikings do love winning, what we value more in our coaches are those who will
- enthusiastically encourage swimmer participation, effort, and progress
- foster supportive and healthy relationships among coaching staff, among swimmers, and between coaches and swimmers
- encourage and demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times
- encourage healthy competition, while emphasizing teamwork and team spirit
The Head Coach will supervise an Assistant Coach and 2-3 junior coaches.
Applicants need to be available for pre-season planning (starting in mid-May) through the Divisionals meet on Saturday, July 22. Once practices begin, there are coaching responsibilities six days a week.
If you’re interested in discussing the Head Coach position, please share a little information about yourself at https://forms.gle/eBXorDdZnry8WLih8 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competitive swimming experience
- Certified in CPR/First Aid
- Certified Lifeguard
- Certified Pool Operator (The Vikings are willing to pay for a CPO certification if you don’t have it.)
- Prior experience coaching youth swimmers
- Experience developing swim workouts
- Experience seeding meets
- Experience supervising and mentoring others
- Experience swimming and/or coaching in the NVSL
- Lead all practices for the Vikings. (Our minis team, the Little Vikings, is separately coached.)
- Attend and coach all meets and meet warmups.
- Time trials
- Five official NVSL “A” meets
- Four developmental “B” meets
- IM carnival meet
- Relay carnival meet
- Divisional meet
- Create workouts for all swimmers based on age and ability.
- Provide stroke and turn instruction and feedback to swimmers for all strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly).
- Provide start and finish instruction.
- Participate in selecting swimmers for all Saturday A meets, IM carnival, relay carnival, and divisional meet.
- Prepare meet sheets in coordination with the swim team representatives and the team data coordinator.
- Attend setup/breakdown of home meets.
- Review meet performance with the team during the following week.
- Address disqualifications and help swimmers so as to enable correction.
- Coordinate entries for the NVSL divisionals meet at the end of the season.
- Attend team social events, including Friday night pep rallies and the end of season awards banquet (about one event per week).
- Mentor and train the assistant & junior coaches.
- Maintain open communication with team representatives, including at least one weekly meeting with a team representative.
- Participate in an end of season review.