The Village West Vikings are accepting applications for the position of Assistant Coach for our summer 2023 season.
The Vikings are a summer swim team based in West Springfield near the intersection of Rolling Road and Old Keene Mill. Across all programs, we have about 150 swimmers, including year-round swimmers, longtime summer swimmers, and younger swimmers just getting their feet wet in our beginner programs. In 2022, about 80 of our swimmers competed in NVSL Division 16.
While the Vikings do love winning, what we value more in our coaches are those who will
- enthusiastically encourage swimmer participation, effort, and progress
- foster supportive and healthy relationships among coaching staff, among swimmers, and between coaches and swimmers
- encourage and demonstrate good sportsmanship at all times
- encourage healthy competition, while emphasizing teamwork and team spirit
The Assistant Coach will work with a team that includes a Head Coach and 2-3 junior coaches.
Applicants need to be available for pre-season planning (starting in mid-May) through the Divisionals meet on Saturday, July 22. Once practices begin, there are coaching responsibilities six days a week.
If you’re interested in discussing the Assistant Coach position, please share a little information about yourself at https://forms.gle/eBXorDdZnry8WLih8 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Competitive swimming experience
- Certified in CPR/First Aid
- Certified in Lifeguard/Water Safety
- Certified Pool Operator (The Vikings are willing to pay for a CPO certification if you don’t have it.)
- Assist the Head Coach in all Vikings meets and practices.
- Lead team practice in infrequent cases where the Head Coach is unavailable.
- Attend and assist the Head Coach at all meets and meet warmups.
- Time trials
- Five official NVSL “A” meets
- Four developmental “B” meets
- IM carnival meet
- Relay carnival meet
- Divisional meet
- Provide stroke and turn instruction and feedback to swimmers for all strokes (freestyle, backstroke, breaststroke, and butterfly).
- Provide start and finish instruction.
- Attend setup/breakdown of home meets.
- Assist in reviewing meet performance with the team during the following week.
- Assist in addressing disqualifications and help swimmers so as to enable correction.
- Attend team social events, including the end of season awards banquet (about one event per week).
- Participate in an end of season review.