The Mosby Woods Raiders, a Division 6 summer swim team, is accepting indications of interest for our 2018 head coach position. We have a rich history with more than 50 years in the Northern Virginia Swim League (NVSL). Summer swim season runs from Memorial Day through All Stars, typically the first weekend of August. Our pool is located within Fairfax City in the Mosby Woods neighborhood (Fairfax Boulevard and Plantation Parkway). Approximately 130 swimmers aged 5-18 comprise our team, with another 20 in our developmental Guppy feeder program (aged 5-6). Evening practice begins Tuesday, May 29, 2018 and morning/evening practices begin Monday, June 18, 2018.
Among the qualifications and qualities we seek:
- Strong technical and training knowledge;
- Excellent communication skills with swimmers, coaches, and parents;
- Ability to hire and mentor assistant and junior coaches; and,
- Enthusiasm for the sport.
The Mosby Woods head coach will be responsible for the following:
- Lead all practices for the swim team and oversee assistant, junior, and volunteer coaches;
- Prepare for (including seeding as applicable) and attend all NVSL Dual, Relay, and Individual Divisional/All Star meets and Fairfax League Monday night, Relay Carnival, and IM meets;
- Enthusiastically support and encourage all swimmers at all meets;
- Assist swimmers in achieving individual goals;
- Attend and participate in team social functions;
- Provide swimmer feedback on progress and goals;
- Work to build our pipeline of younger swimmers while maintaining the interest and commitment of the older swimmers;
- Conduct agreed upon Stroke & Turn/Start/Finish Clinics; and,
- Mentor junior and volunteer coaches.
Requirements for the position include:
- Pool operator’s license (or willingness to obtain certification);
- Lifeguard and/or CPR/Water Safety certification;
- Knowledge of proper swimming technique and the ability to teach it to swimmers of all ages and levels;
- Knowledge of NVSL rules and Hy-Tek meet software preferred; and,
- Previous coaching experience.
If interested, please submit your cover letter and résumé to email@example.com by Friday, December 15, 2017.